Thursday, March 19, 2009

lotsa names, lotsa faces

I had the lovely fortune of being able to spend two days with little CCR this week - a tiny slice in the short span of his infancy, and an even tinier moment in what is sure to be an exciting childhood. I wanted to capture a few of my observations in writing because, though nothing particularly momentous occurred in his development in the last couple of days, we all just might like remembering Curtis as a helpless six-week-old someday.

He really is just a little lump, as lovable as any little lump can be. My friends, Liz and Fran, joined me to play with CCR on Wednesday, and the three of us alternately referred to the little guy as "lump," "blob," and "meatloaf." He likes to curl into the fetal position and keeps his legs bent up to his tummy most of the time. He does, however, like to stretch out his torso, delicately punching his arms up and out and leaning his head back - it's pretty cute.

He also likes to sleep. Unfortunately, the more he sleeps during the day, the more he keeps Rachel and Crispin up at night. I did what I could to keep him engaged during the day, but it was always tempting to let him drift off in my arms or cuddle up in my lap and doze off. Sleeping keeps a baby quiet, it's so hard to resist!

Tiny as he is, Curtis is pretty communicative in his own baby way. He makes gurgly noises and even seems to be trying to talk, cooing abruptly sometimes - particularly when Rachel had him laying on his back on the couch, looking up at her.

My favorite moments with CCR were when I got to hold him and watch his focus change. At the moment, he is particularly fascinated with sources of light, and likes to be near windows during the day. If you hold him so he can turn sideways and look out the window, and you bend and straighten your knees (a repeating plie, if you will), he is just as pleased as can be. I was glad I wore my glasses both days, because he was very interested in the way light reflected off the lenses - which gave the impression that he was gazing intently at me for long periods of time. As he watched me, his expression managed to change upwards of 30 times a minute, it seemed. First he'd seem curious, then his eyes would start closing, then he would smile, close his mouth, open it again, furrow his brow, raise his eyebrows, stick out his tongue, turn to the side and turn back, flex a hand and raise it to his face, make a noise, look like he was about to cry, turn pinker and redder, then look back at me seriously and flare his nostrils. All the while, I would be laughing and asking him, "what are you thinking, little man?" He usually answered with a spit-up or a diaper squirt, so I suppose it wasn't too much of a mystery.

We were pleased to find that he has begun following things with his eyes. Whether it was the rattle I shook at him, his head turning toward the window as we walked around the house, or his curious gaze as I danced around in front of his stroller (making a fool of myself), his deep blue eyes were actively moving - an exciting development.

Our little Curtis is a dear child, who keeps his parents awake all night and charms friends and neighbors with his cute sleepy face during the day. I was so happy to have met him briefly, and I hope our relationship grows as he does. Rachel and Crispin, I can't wait to take him to Europe or Latin America someday (just so you know, I'm planning this). In the meantime, I wish you good health and good sleep. Take care of my nephew!

No comments:

Post a Comment